City of Waynesboro Facade Grant Program
The Facade Improvement Grants are reimbursement grants, available for 50% of the total project cost, up to a maximum of $5,000. An applicant may apply for reimbursement for more than one facade when buildings front on more than one street. However, based on the annual allocation, funds remaining in current budget, other pending applications, and/or other circumstances, the EDA reserves the right to only reimburse for one façade facing or one landscape facing per fiscal year. Projects of this magnitude should be discussed with the Director of Economic Development prior to submission.
- Qualified Applicant: Any owner of Enterprise Sub-zone property, or any tenant or prospective tenant having the building owner’s written approval.
- Qualified Areas: The downtown area in which buildings are eligible consists of parcels within the Enterprise Sub-zone with a special focus on the Main Street District.
- Qualified Improvements: External improvement to the property façade such as painting, including walls, windows, doors, awnings, lighting and signage. This includes installations, significant repairs that are part of a larger improvement project, replacements, and cleaning and repointing of masonry.
- Improvement Standards: All façade improvements must conform to the Design Guidelines approved by the Design Committee. The Design Committee must approve any changes necessitated while the project is under construction prior to installation. All construction must be done in accordance with local code. Property owners are responsible for obtaining building and or sign permits where applicable.
- Approval Process: Projects must be preapproved. Each applicant must submit one original (print or e-mail) of the completed application to the Waynesboro Economic Development Office (as outlined on page 2 of the application). In order to assure consideration, applications must be submitted to the Design Committee five business days before their regular monthly meeting (the 3rd Wednesday of the month). The order in which completed applications are received determines the order of funding approval. Applications will typically be reviewed on a monthly basis by the Design Committee for certification of appropriate design criteria and the Economic Development Authority for approval of funding. Design Committee approval will typically require two meetings if/when changes to the original design are suggested. A previously submitted application must be resubmitted for review if changes are made after the Design Committee’s approval.