Expanded Façade Benefits
Thanks to a grant from the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) we have expanded the match for projects located in the Downtown Enterprise Sub-Zone to 75% up to $7,500 and expanded the eligible area to the Designated Resurgence Area with grants available for 50% of the total project cost (up to $5,000). See map for general area of the City and search your address here to see if you are located in a qualifying area. Projects must be pre-approved, conform to the Waynesboro Downtown Design Guidelines, and be completed by April 30, 2022. The order in which completed applications are received determines the order of funding approval until the grant funds are exhausted. We do understand that getting more than one estimate or your project is becoming more difficult. Therefore we will accept one estimate and evidence that you have attempted to get a second one. That evidence could be a copies of emails, telephone log, etc. as long as it shows the name(s), and dates of your contact with additional qualified contractors. All other specifications as detailed below still apply.
City of Waynesboro
The Facade Improvement Grants are reimbursement grants, available for 50% of the total project cost, up to a maximum of $5,000. An applicant may apply for reimbursement for more than one facade when buildings front on more than one street. Only one elevation is eligible in a single fiscal year.
- Qualified Applicant: Any owner of Enterprise Zone property, or any tenant or prospective tenant having the building owner’s written approval.
- Qualified Areas: The downtown area in which buildings are eligible consists of parcels within the Enterprise Sub-zone with a special focus on the Main Street District.
- Qualified Improvements: External improvement to the property façade such as painting, including walls, windows, doors, awnings, lighting and signage. This includes installations, significant repairs that are part of a larger improvement project, replacements, and cleaning and repointing of masonry.
- Improvement Standards: All façade improvements must conform to the Design Guidelines approved by the Design Committee. The Design Committee must approve any changes necessitated while the project is under construction prior to installation. All construction must be done in accordance with local code, including building permits where applicable.
- Application Process: Each applicant must submit one original (print or e-mail) of the completed application to the Waynesboro Economic Development Office (as outlined on page 2 of the application). In order to assure consideration, applications must be submitted to the Design Committee five business days before their regular monthly meeting (the 3rd Wednesday of the month). The order in which completed applications are received determines the order of funding approval. Applications will typically be reviewed on a monthly basis by the Design Committee for certification of appropriate design criteria and the Economic Development Authority for approval of funding. Design Committee approval will typically require two meetings if/when changes to the original design are suggested. A previously submitted application must be resubmitted for review if changes are made after the Design Committee’s approval.